Here’s a modified version of the original recipe, which can be found here: 닭갈비 만들기
(please note that the measurements are approximations, since the original recipe didn’t give American cooking units):
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thigh, diced
1/2 lb Korean rice cake sticks
1/4-1/2 cabbage, diced
1/2 large onion, sliced
1/2 carrot, julienne
2-3 leeks, diced large
8-10 perilla leaves, sliced
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers depending on how spicy you want it
1 medium sized sweet potato, sliced into 1/4″ wedges
2 tbsp olive or canola oil
Perilla leaves and toasted sesame seeds for garnish
3 tbsp Korean chili paste
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp Korean chili flakes
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp rice wine
1-2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp plum extract
1/2-1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp curry powder (optional)
1. Presoak rice cakes in water overnight (this helps make them softer and easier to cook)
2. Marinate chicken in rice wine and pepper for ~15-20 minutes (this will help tenderize the meat)
3. Drain the chicken and add ~1/2 the sauce and marinate for an additional 30 minutes
4. Drizzle oil onto large cast iron skillet or large pan, spread chicken and top with all vegetables except the perilla leaves. Spread remainder of sauce on top and cook over medium to high heat.
5. When ingredients begin sizzling, toss and mix so that the sauce is spread evenly throughout everything. Reduce to medium heat and continue cooking for additional 7-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. When the chicken and sweet potatoes are cooked, add perilla leaves and continue cooking for a few minutes. Stir gently so that the sweet potatoes don’t break.
7. Garnish with perilla leaves and toasted sesame seeds and serve hot.